Did you know that working at your desk for extended periods of time may affect your health? While you’re working hard at the office, the last thing that you think about is your posture and how this may have a negative impact in your body. However, office workplace injuries are very common and affect many workers in America. In fact, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) “there were approximately 2.9 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses reported by private industry employers in 2015, which occurred at a rate of 3.0 cases per 100 equivalent full-time workers. Meanwhile an estimated 752,600 injury and illness cases were reported in the public sector resulting in a rate of 5.1 cases per 100 full-time workers”.
To raise awareness, the International Labour Organization (ILO) commemorates April 28th as the World Day for Safety and Health at Work. The orthopedic experts of OrthoNOW are ready to give you some tips on how to avoid the top 5 workplace injuries.
- Lower Back – This is the #1 cause of work absenteeism, with a staggering 80% of people suffering from it. You can help prevent lower back pain by taking frequent breaks, getting up and stretching, strengthening abdominal/oblique muscles, using good posture, adjusting your chair height so your forearms are comfortably resting in your desk and by avoiding standing or sitting for long periods of time.
- Shoulder Pain – Shoulder injury is a combination anatomy/overuse issue and the terms “strain” or “sprain” are often overused in this case. You can help prevent shoulder injuries by stretching muscles and performing shoulder shrugs and rolls, developing better posture, optimizing your workspace and sitting correctly.
- Finger Injuries – Tendon/nerve injuries are often “missed” or misdiagnosed in general urgent care and even in ER scenarios due to the complexity and subtle differences between disorders. You can help prevent this injury by breaking up repetitious work, avoiding using too much force, minimize contact with hard or sharp surfaces, changing positions when you hold objects for any length of time and by using your whole hand to grasp an object instead of trying to pick it up with one finger.
- Neck Pain – Neck pain is usually a postural issue and degenerative conditions are seen with a simple x-ray. You can prevent neck pain by keeping your computer monitor at eye level, adjusting keyboard tray height, sitting with support, avoiding cellphone or tablets for emails and getting up to walk around.
- Repetitive Strain/Motion— This impacts muscles, nerves, ligaments and tendons and it’s usually caused by improper technique or overuse. To prevent it, you should adjust the height, angle and position of your computer, stretch, take regular breaks to relieve stress and strengthen the muscles involved to increase flexibility through stretching.
Work injuries and illnesses can affect every aspect of your life, so now that you’ve learned more about the top 5 workplace injuries, you are better prepared to improve your health in the workforce. If you or someone you know are experiencing symptoms for one or more of these injuries, it’s important to consult with one of our orthopedic experts as soon as possible. For more information on our services, visit www.OrthoNOWcare.com or download our mobile app because you never know when you’ll need it.
OrthoNOW is the country’s only orthopedic urgent care franchise. Their centers are focused on sports medicine and the treatment of chronic, acute and preventive care, all on a walk-in basis. Services include treatment of injuries to the hand, wrist, foot, ankle, knee, spine and shoulder, as well as preventative consultation and regimens by experts in orthopedics. Every OrthoNOW is equipped with digital imaging equipment and offers the latest techniques and treatments by a team of orthopedic physicians and orthopedic specialized ancillary providers including ARPWave Neuro Therapy which dramatically alleviates acute and chronic pain and expedites recovery time from surgery. OrthoNOW’s mobile app features a revolutionary feature called On My Way NOWTM which allows patients to notify an OrthoNOW Center that they are in route, the reason they’re coming and what time they expect to arrive. The recently released upgraded app for iPhone now includes integration with Uber, the ridesharing service. OrthoNOW’s flagship center is in Doral Florida, with additional centers in Florida, Georgia and other locations coming soon. For more information visit: www.OrthoNOWcare.com.