Understanding this common overuse injury
Stress fractures, also called hairline fractures, are overuse injuries. When muscles, which act as shock absorbers, get tired, their ability to cushion bones decreases. Without the buffer, the added force can cause stress fractures.
Certain factors increase your risk of developing stress fractures, including:
- Excessive physical activity with not enough rest between workouts
- Consuming more than 10 alcoholic drinks a week
- Having osteoporosis or osteopenia, a condition that results in weaker bones
- Running more than 25 miles per week
- Suddenly increasing physical activity
- Biomechanical errors during activity that load the bone
Foot & Ankle Injury & Pain Treatment in Miami
When pain or injury strikes your foundation, OrthoNOW’s on-site foot and ankle specialists are here to get you back on your feet as quickly as possible. For more information or to make an appointment, please call us at (305) 537-7272 or drop by. Walk-Ins welcome.